[Novalug] please remind me

Nino Pereira pereira@speakeasy.net
Thu Dec 10 09:26:05 EST 2009

Hi,

it used to be possible, and it should still be possible, to have one server
support a whole bunch of web sites. In Apache there used to be a file,
perhaps apache.conf, that contained the necessary information for each of
these web sites, something like

<VirtualHost site.org>
DocumentRoot /var/www(/site-directory?)
<Directory/>
stuff
</Directory>
etc.

At one point I had this filled in, with applicable info, but
this all disappeared, through my fault.

Now I find a file Apache2.conf, which pulls in all kinds of
other files. It seems handy. But, I got only one website to
work, the default, and the only file I have is 'default'.
This has essentially the above (that's how I remember it from before),
but with

<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /var/www
<Directory/>
stuff
</Directory>
etc.

Can I just replace the * with the name of the site I want to
host, and then give this site the appropriate directory, with the
right files, etc.?

Thank you,

Nino