[Novalug] Fedora 12

Paul W. Frields stickster@gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 08:24:46 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 02:21:10AM -0500, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
> Walt Smith wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > Since there's been some mention of F12,
> > I thought I'd relate a few pieces of info associated with
> > the installation using the LiveCD.
> >
> > I used the Gnome version.
> > When the Live CD installs, it apparently installs a binary image
> > to the hard drive rather than installing RPM packages.
> > IOW, one big image is copied with dirs and files.
> >
> > There are apparently no RPM's on the CD.
> > There are no kde files of any kind,
> > including no qt files.  There is Abiword and
> > no OpenOffice.  There is Firefox 3.5.4.
> > There is no gimp.  There is a image viewer.
> > There installs SElinux, default is LVM, and there is a firewall.
> >
> > The squashfs is viewable doing the following.
> > 1. mount the CD to /mnt
> > 2. $ cd   til you find the .img file.
> > 3. then mount the image file also to /mnt.
> > ( as I recall).
> >
> > Since the Live CD is an image copy, I don't believe it
> > should be used to "restore" anything.  It'd probably just rewrite
> > everything.  IOW- it'd erase anything you had on the HD.
> >
> > I don't have a guess if it would make a good "rescue CD" ..
> >
> > I now have the DVD ordered..
> >
> > Walt .........
> >

> > I was able to mount the squashfs image.
>
> Would the files in this image include /var/lib/rpm? That's where the rpm
> database is stored*.
>
> JIM
>
> * unless it's not, in which case I meant to say the correct pathname,
> but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Two things...

1. Walt talks about mounting the CD's squashfs image below.  He should
make sure to mount the image itself somewhere *different* from the CD
mount point, else problems ensue.  Usually an inserted CD will be
mounted under the /media tree, so using /mnt isn't a problem per se.

2. As James mentions, the RPM database is found in the image where
you'd normally find one on a system.  So you'd be able to do for
example 'rpm -r /mnt -q glibc' to see the glibc packages installed on
that system.