[Novalug] fedora 12 ( more)

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 15:16:14 EST 2009

hi,

I thought I'd mention that fedora 12 as a desktop
seems snappier/smoother than F 10.  I think it's the new
kernel.  I have several Nautilus's and FF with ftp screen
( to F10 box) at the same time... and a pdf and calc graph
on a 2.6 ghz single CPU w/ 512M mem.. I probably should also
credit FF 3.5.  But in conjunction with the kernel, it's hard to
easily give due credit.   BUT... it works the way
a desktop supposed to !!  So I'm very pleased.

I haven't been able to do more real testing ( using FF to
go to websites ) since I don't have a F 10 ( as dialup on
one end and eth => F 12 on the other  with NAT working.
I D/L fwbuilder, and while it looks like it's feature packed,
I don't want to learn the entire FW system. I'm not a sys admin
and have no aspirations in that area.

IF there's a easy reasonable setup, I'm willing to listen.
On one website, I found a pretty good "howto" for NAT, but
it seemed to be for two eth's ( no dialup).  I'd be happy to go
create and fixup a couple files.

One other simple thing also works... as a single user, I don't mind
being able to install software with no "user authorization".  I find
having to always type my password a PITA.  When I D/L the rpm's,
the GUI from nautilus works quite well.  When there's a rpm
problem, the gui has a click button for "details", which works pretty
good.... except for the repetitive motion of going to "rpmfind.org"
and searching for the rpm package based on the "lib.so" filename etc...
In reality, I ended up doing a google search and peeking at the
result description for the rpm package name.  This was easier than
rpmfind on all but one or two filenames.

The package installer does have a major bug.
(I install now by using rpms in a dir and Nautilus and clicking
the icon )
If I accidentally forget a rpm install window is still active
( minimized onto the task bar), and click on another "package install",
I'm screwed.  The windows can eventually be dismissed by hook/crook,
but the installer can't be restarted by clicking a package name
in Nautilus.  Indeed, I have to close out the user account (X!).
I'm sure there's a lock file there somewhere, and a brief search
didn't locate it. (I also tried finding a process to kill, but again,
didn't see anything )..

I did go to the rpmfusion site to try to install some media
files.  IF you don't have a direct Internet connection and
yum, you're screwed as the instructions on the fusion site are
confusing.  And you REALLY need to know for sure what you want.
Just knowing you want a DVD player or mp3 player surly isn't
enough.  So I'd exclude grandma from doing an installation.
I myself gave up (for the moment) of a media player.
Maybe when my DVD gets here ??  oooops... the CODECS ....

grandma may be happy with a preinstalled version.

**
By the way, which distros have the codecs ( that you may
probably pay for )  ??? Is Linspire one ?  just curious ...

Walt.......