[Novalug] OpenSuSE 11.2 Gripe

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Wed Dec 9 14:22:52 EST 2009

Intuit will never offer its products on Linux.  They have had over 8 figures
in requests for a port since earlier this decade.  It's not a technical or even
userbase matter.  However, they proactively support WINE run-time solutions,
even if unofficial.

Now depending on who you are, Adobe supports Photoshop on Linux via WINE
run-time.  It's a continuing, $1B market for them to support Photoshop on Linux.
No, no native version exists, and I cannot publicly state--er, speculate -- why.
And you have to be someone of size and influence to get Adobe to support it
on Linux via WINE.  I agree that CinePaint (fka FilmGIMP) is not enough, and
PhotoShop is far better.

For Lightroom, I'd gander a look at LightZone.  It's only $99 for Linux.  I recently
purchased it myself and haven't looked back.  LightZone actually does many
things intelligently in my view, and it has a good following on non-Linux as well.
Not quite everything Lightroom does, but for most people, it's actually a better
workflow (including for myself).

Microsoft Project is not viable, not even Project Server.  Sorry, but that's been
my long-standing, professional attitude.  There are better solutions out there,
especially for workgroups (let alone entire divisions).  It's largely a "default"
consideration for those who are already tied to MS Office.

As far as Visio, it has its issues and it is completely "at odds" with the rest of the
MS Office suite.  I.e., if there's ever an app that feels completely out-of-place in
MS Office, it's Visio.  There are stencil converters to other drawing solutions, which
is what a number of people utilize.

And when you say "advanced features," do you mean VBA?  How have you kept
your VBA compatibility?  What about over on Mac (where VBA was removed)?
Elsewhere?  I understand Photoshop, Adobe is great about forward/backward
compatibility.  But one thing I have _never_ found viable with Microsoft products
is more than 1-2 version compatibility, and I'm re-doing everything at least every
other upgrade.

That's why law and medicine still prefers WordPerfect over Word, and most
engineering firms and several governments switched to ODF for document
longevity.