[Novalug] Dual Monitor setup not working - No clue, what did I do?

Michael Henry lug-user@drmikehenry.com
Wed Dec 9 09:30:35 EST 2009

On 12/09/2009 08:53 AM, Bryan J Smith wrote:
> Not for me.  But I know what I'm doing and I buy the right hardware.
>
> As far as nVidia, there's a reason why they have a huge customer base
> for workstations and servers.  Their platform chipsets and, with added
> drivers, GPUs "just work" right down to the smallest features --
> especially on portables.

At work on my desktops, I've been happy with nVidia for quite
some time.  A couple of years ago, I bought a ThinkPad T61 with
an Intel GMA video chipset because at the time, lots of people
were predicting great driver support from Intel.  It hasn't
worked out that way (for me, anyway).  The Intel drivers for my
chipset have been buggy, they crashed a lot (in the Fedora 10/11
timeframe), and their performance has been lackluster.  In
Fedora 12, they've been more stable, but honestly it's been a
significant letdown to me (especially compared to my desktop
experience).  I'm sure some of the problems were caused by the
early adoption of KDE 4, which has gotten better as well.  But I
can't really explain why suspending and hibernation were so
badly broken on this laptop on Fedora 11.  Finally in Fedora 12,
I can reliably suspend by closing the lid, but waking up takes
20-30 seconds while the screensaver happily scrolls "KDE" across
the screen.  It's not 100% reliable when hibernating.  There are
other, more minor, problems that I'm willing to work around.
However, I've been wishing for an nVidia-based laptop recently.
They aren't as common as ATI- or Intel-based laptops.

Does anyone have a recommended laptop that works well with
recent Linux distributions, with an nVidia-based video subsystem
and all of the hardware working under KDE 4?

Thanks,
Michael Henry