[Novalug] Job interview "stuff"

Ed James edjames@greenbelt.com
Mon Dec 7 16:29:29 EST 2009

Just my two cents worth - this topic is a bit off-topic, but is
certainly appreciated.  I'm considering "looking around" next
year, and it's interesting to see what people might throw at me.
Over the years, I've read many "How to Interview" books (from
BOTH sides of the table), waded through "Mensa puzzle" type
books, hit the trick-question websites, etc.  But in my whole
career, I've only had *one* job where the interview was much
of a challenge - Martin Marietta Laboratories.  I went through
two rounds of interviews, and faced a room full of PhDs.  At
that time, I had just a BS in Physics and almost a year of
grad school (I never did finish).  Thus, I was a bit out-matched.
I did get the job, however.

Just as an FYI, the imterviewers that impress me most are the
ones that "size up" people well, rather than reading info on
paper, especially when these are the managers for which I
worked.  I don't find this type of person often, perhaps
because the move up the ranks and exist in a different
world than moi.

Question: Which fields/areas in the DC area tend to have the
best interviewers and hardest interviews?  Business, government,
education...? Small, medium, large organizations?  New start-ups,
old established dinosaurs?

Ed James