[Novalug] What to do about a defective vi?

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki eric@zhevny.com
Wed Dec 2 03:43:27 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 12:57:40AM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 11:50:24PM -0500, Charles M Howe wrote:
> > List,
> >
> > I've bellyached about this before: vi (vim, actually) acts up? Can I
> > deinstall it (or whatever the word is), then reinstall it? gedit works.
> > Otherwise I would be frantic. But I don't want to go without vi forever.
> >

> Looking back at your original post it seems you are running Karmic.
> Assuming you are using gnome, on the top bar/panel go to:
>
>    system ->
>      administration ->
>        synaptic package manager
>
> In the "quick search" field enter 'vim' and click "Search".
> There will be lots of packages related to vim, I get about 40,
> but only 7 are installed:
>
>   vim
>   vim-runtime
>   vim-common
>   vim-tiny
>   vim-gnome
>   vim-gui-common
>   vim-doc
>
> All are version 2:7.2.245-2ubuntu2.
>
> One by one select each with your mouse and then click the right button
> to get the action menu.  If the package is NOT installed, mark it for
> installation.  If already installed, mark for reinstallation.
>
> When done with marking all seven packages, click "apply" in the top bar.

Also, it might be interesting to check the packages' md5sums before
reinstalling. On the commandline debsums is your friend for this. I'm
not sure if synaptic can run debsums for you as I've never used it.

-edrz