[Novalug] OpenWRT vs DD-WRT vs FreeWRT

Igor Birman igor_birman@yahoo.com
Tue Dec 1 08:16:09 EST 2009

I have had best luck with OpenWRT WhiteRussian.  It was the most flexible and left some space for uploading files.  DD-WRT was easy to set up but not very configurable.  I have not played with FreeWRT.

I haven't touched this stuff in a while - I have a router that I set up at my pool which worked great as a hotspot all summer.  I use nodogsplash to put up a splash page when people log in.

Igor

________________________________
From: Ed James <edjames@greenbelt.com>
To: NOVALUG@calypso.tux.org
Sent: Tue, December 1, 2009 7:23:37 AM
Subject: [Novalug] OpenWRT vs DD-WRT vs FreeWRT

All,

    I want to upgrade the firmware on a Motorola WE800G and/or a Linksys
WAP54G, with the WE800G the more likely candidate.  The WE800G only
understands WEP, but I want WPA, hence the need for an upgrade.  I
also want to be able to use either or both of the two devices as
a WiFi Client.

    Are there any strong reasons for picking OpenWRT or DD-WRT or
FreeWRT for such a project?

Ed James