[Novalug] Mappery : Progress, maybe, but ...

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Sun Aug 23 14:20:49 EDT 2009

 	I have three Garmin GPSs (an Etrex Vista and two Rino
120s), which I want to use under Fedora 11 Linux with four PCs,
and two laptops (IBM-reconditioned Thinkpads, T30 & T42).

 	Garmin software suites (Metroguide USA and Topo US 2008)
are installed on all the computers; both of them launch and run
under Wine on all six. Both of them also connect, consistently,
to the GPSs from the PCs.

 	*Sometimes* they also connect to the GPSs from the
laptops -- and sometimes nothing I can think of makes the
transfers work (or the laptops even see the GPSs, for that
matter). (I'm not just misremembering. There are many waypoints,
as well as a few routes and tracks, on the laptops now, which
have to have come from the GPSs.)

 	The cables I have, bought new from Garmin, all require a
serial port on the computer end. The PCs have such a port, as
does the T30; for the T42 I have something that calls itself a
"Cardbus to Serial Port Adapter," which uses a little 10" cable
with an ethernet plug on one end for the card, and a male serial
plug on the other, which accepts the Garmin cables.

 	My guess is that there is something funny in either the
F11 install or the Wine install on the laptops, since all the
GPSs and cables work well in at least some places.

 	Can anyone suggest a way to find the problem??