[Novalug] Static IP Provider from Local ISP

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Thu Aug 13 09:32:08 EDT 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 9:29 PM, American Dave wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 06:29:25PM -0600, Patrick McDonald wrote:
>
>> 1) static IP
>> 2) no blocking of ports at the ISP firewall/router/etc
>> 3) OSS friendly
>
> I used to serve at home, but ran into many more issues than it was
> worth.  IE, other service providers blocking me since I had "adsl"
> in my
> reverse DNS, power outages beyond UPS life, and ISP headaches.  I'd
> suggest getting a virtual machine from linode.com.  I am
> extremely impressed with them.
> -A. Dave

I've got a Linode for one of my sites.  I'm planning on migrating a
second server to Linode in a couple months, and I have plans to move
no less than three non-profit/corp sites to Linode.  The only catch
with Linode is their host datacenter in Atlanta filters some ports.
The list is maintained on the Linode Wiki. [1]  If this is a problem
for you, choose one of their other three datacenters.  (I'm in Dallas,
FWIW.)

jf
[1] http://www.linode.com/wiki/index.php/Atlanta_Port_Filtering