[Novalug] Disk Wipe Software?

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Mon Aug 3 10:43:07 EDT 2009

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009, Paul Sullivan wrote:

> I use http://sourceforge.net/projects/diskscrub/ for disk sanitization. I'd
> recommend release 1.9.
>
> It's simple, straight forward, and implements the DoD 5220.22-M standard. In
> short, it does several passes of full non-zero pattern writes to the disk,
> ensuring all data is effectively destroyed.
>
> I'm not sure if anyones taken a drill to a drive before, but it's messy and
> the wife tends not to like it. :) It's also frowned upon in data centers.
>
> On average a 36 gb disk can take up to 2-3 hours to complete.

 	A friend and linux user, living in Texas at the time,
once assured me that a .45 acp ("God's Handgun," according to
another friend) will not penetrate clear through -- but that a
.30-06 will.

 	The problem would be finding a place. None of the ranges
in that area would let you, and it wouldn't be legal in the
National Forest nor on a public hunting ground. You'd need to
find something like a gravel pit on private land, whose owner
would give you permission.

--
Beartooth the Stubborn, Sclerotic Squirreler
Death is not evil. Suffering is evil.