[Novalug] speed - 30 to 15 (was file sys q)

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi@gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 09:36:59 EDT 2009

On Miércoles 29 Abril 2009 7:36:01 AM Roger W. Broseus wrote:
> Mackenzie:
>
> Was the boot time improvement from an HD or SDD, i.e., due to media change
> or because of ext3 --> ext4 on an HD?

Both measurements were on a 5400 RPM hard drive, not an SSD.  48 seconds was
on Jaunty final, after it had been upgraded from Intrepid to an early alpha and
onward through there.  I wanted to clean out anything lurking from early
alphas, so I did a clean install, this time with ext4, and the boot time was
reduced by 2/3.

What makes it less impressive is that on Hardy my boot time was 22 seconds.
Throughout the time I was using Jaunty, the boot time just kept growing, about
5 seconds a month.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo