[Novalug] Spin down and/or Park external USB drives in Linux?

Anthony Soucek monkeywrenchit@gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 06:31:36 EDT 2009

I use a lot of usb drives, depending on the file system and the os, if you
eject them by right clicking on the drive and "eject" and wait until you get
the "okay to remove" message.  you should be fine.  if the drive is not
readable because you pulled it too soon, you can usually recover with fsck
or chkdsk in windows.   I wouldn't pay for a mac, so I cant help you there.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Maxwell Spangler <max09@maxwellspangler.com
> wrote:

> When I Unmount/Eject (Whatever) external USB drives on MacOS, I hear the
> drive park, spin down and go quiet before I physically remove it.
>
> Are there ways of easily doing this on Linux?
>
> I have five external drives at this point: Two in Antec MX-1 cases that
> seem to spin down/up in reaction to USB status of some sort (observed
> when I shut my system down or unplug the USB cable), two generic boxes
> and a new Seagate 2.5" drive.
>
> I'd like to treat them with as much respect as possible and that means
> if I'm going to disconnect the Seagate (which powers via USB cable) I'd
> love to shut it down into a "safe mode" as much as possible.
>
> I yanked a generic 2.5" drive recently during some sort of activity and
> afterwards the drive is kaput.  So I'm trying to avoid that with this
> new one.
>

> --
> Maxwell Spangler

Anthony Soucek