[Novalug] Spin down and/or Park external USB drives in Linux?

Maxwell Spangler max09@maxwellspangler.com
Mon Apr 27 20:17:01 EDT 2009

When I Unmount/Eject (Whatever) external USB drives on MacOS, I hear the
drive park, spin down and go quiet before I physically remove it.

Are there ways of easily doing this on Linux?

I have five external drives at this point: Two in Antec MX-1 cases that
seem to spin down/up in reaction to USB status of some sort (observed
when I shut my system down or unplug the USB cable), two generic boxes
and a new Seagate 2.5" drive.

I'd like to treat them with as much respect as possible and that means
if I'm going to disconnect the Seagate (which powers via USB cable) I'd
love to shut it down into a "safe mode" as much as possible.

I yanked a generic 2.5" drive recently during some sort of activity and
afterwards the drive is kaput.  So I'm trying to avoid that with this
new one.

--
Maxwell Spangler