[Novalug] Connecting CentOS 5.3 on a netbook

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Mon Apr 27 16:52:53 EDT 2009

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, David A. Cafaro wrote:

> Ok, based on that info, your install of CentOS has no recognized network
> hardware (the hardware is there, CentOS just doesn't have drivers).
>
> I did a quick google and found this page:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Asus/Eeepc
>
> Though they speak of the EeePC 900 that's basically the same hardware as your
> 701, but more storage and bigger screen.  That page also confirms that CentOS
> doesn't have the drivers for your network hardware.  They do provide a link
> to where you can download drivers that someone else has made.  The driver
> RPM's are here:
>
> http://rpms.arrfab.net/centos/5/eeepc/
>
> Hopefully those are still working and that can get you up and running once
> you install them.  You will have to trust their builds though, and hope they
> aren't doing something nefarious.  The other option is to find the driver
> sources mentioned and rebuild them your self, but that's a lot more work.

 	OK, I see five packages on that latter site. I can
download them all, copy them onto a loose thumbstick, and move
the thumbstick to the EeePC. Then what? Copy them to /home/btth,
do cd /home/btth as root, and rpm -ivh them as usual? No gotchas?

 	This looks like a vast help. One of the chief ways I keep
from totally bollixing any machine any more often is by never
touching source code ...

 	Many many thanks! I wouldn't've known what to google for,
much less that packages for the 900 should work in the 701.

 	LATER : I moved all the rpms, and rpm'd them on the
EeePC. I still couldn't activate eth0; so I'm rebooting, and will
try again.

 	I also found several .xml.gz packages, and copied them
onto the EeePC. Am I supposed to do something with them, or just
let the new rpms find them or ...?

--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeonly Codger Learning Linux
On the Internet, you can never tell who is a dog --