[Novalug] Connecting CentOS 5.3 on a netbook

David A. Cafaro dac@cafaro.net
Mon Apr 27 10:53:47 EDT 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 10:26 AM, Beartooth wrote:
> 	Alas! All I get is :
>

> [btth@EeePC701Cent ~]$ /sbin/ifconfig
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
>          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
>          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>          RX bytes:560 (560.0 b)  TX bytes:560 (560.0 b)

OK, well that just tells us you don't have eth0 up and running or the
wireless.  But we still need to run the command "/sbin/ifconfig -a" to
tell us if your system even knows about the other interfaces.

> [btth@EeePC701Cent ~]$
>
> 	Fwiw, all the same hardware, running DreamLinux 3.5 a few minutes
> ago, saw both eth0 and the usual three wireless networks (mine and,
> presumably, two of the neighbors').

Well dreamlinux 3.5 is running a 2.6.28 kernel which means it has all
the latest and greatest drivers, it's a cutting edge distro.  CentOS
5.3 is not a cutting edge distro, it's designed for workstations and
servers that must be stable and little changing over years of
service.  It may not have the latest drivers that let your relatively
new hardware run.  But, that doesn't mean we can't add the drivers or
teach the system how to use the hardware.

Cheers,
David

David A. Cafaro <dac@cafaro.net>
Cafaro's Ramblings:  www.cafaro.net