[Novalug] Unable to terminate a vi program

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sun Apr 26 21:54:00 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 08:31:28PM -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Sunday 26 April 2009 8:21:00 pm William Sutton wrote:
> > Aside from the fact that I suggested killall first, and the fact that I
> > didn't know about pkill (nice to have another tool in the tool box), ps,
> > grep, cut, xargs, and kill are very likely to be on any UNIX you come
> > across.  I don't know that about pkill.
>
> Ah, I missed the killall note in there, sorry.  I think pkill was created just
> to avoid ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep foo | xargs kill ...because that's long.
> I doubt it exists on your average non-GNU/Linux system, though, that's true.

pkill/pgrep first appeared on Solaris and thankfully (IMO) was picked
up by linux quite a while ago.  I've a few systems here and they are
on:  Fedora core 3, core 5, and 9, SLES 9, Suse 9.3 & 10, Mandriva 10.2,
and Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10.  So pretty wide spread.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jon@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing