[Novalug] Unable to terminate a vi program

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sun Apr 26 20:13:19 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 05:05:52PM -0400, Nino Pereira wrote:
> Charlie,
>
> here are my panic buttons. They may work for you too.
>
> 1: do 'ps -aux'. This gives you a long list of programs
> that run on the machine. Find the one that's giving
> problems (in your case: vi or more likely vim), find
> the Process ID (the number in the second column, say 12345) and do
> 'kill -9 12345'
>
> That should make the offending process disappear.

It should, but using the -9 option doesn't let the process
clean up properly.  I prefer to simply do a kill with no
numeric option first.  If that doesn't work, try the "-1"
option (small lie that the user logged off).  If neither
of those work, blow the sucker away with "-9".

> 2: For really serious problems (screen locked up, greek or korean
> letters when you type latin letters), reboot.

Sounds like windows -- shudder.
Couldn't you simply kill the shell/terminal.
Or at the worst, log out.  If in an X environment,
Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace should kill your X session
and log you out.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jon@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing