[Novalug] Wubi + TrueCrypt == Fail

Richard Barnes richard.barnes@gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 14:58:52 EDT 2009

Hey all,

This is not a surprising result, but thought it could save folks some
hassle: I tried to install Ubuntu 9.04 last night using Wubi on a
Windows XP box with a TrueCrypt-encrypted system disk.  The install
succeeded to the point where Wubi completed and said to restart.  On
restart, the boot-loader worked and I got an Ubuntu startup screen
(with the logo and the long thin pulsating bar), but then it dropped
back down into the busybox environment that was on the ramdisk, citing
some issue with accessing the disk.  After rebooting into Windows,
Wubi was able to remove that installation cleanly.

So, there's no risk of bricking your computer by installing Wubi over
TrueCrypt (I was worried it would overwrite the bootloader and
everything would collapse), but it won't boot into Ubuntu.  Not
surprising, just a data point for you.

--Richard