[Novalug] kubuntu 9.04 video ooops

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi@gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 11:51:14 EDT 2009

On Friday 24 April 2009 11:38:39 am Meg Larko wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> As mentioned yesterday, I was using the Adept tool notification that
> there was a version upgrade from my then-current kubuntu 7.10 to
> 9.04.

Eek!  You skipped 2 releases?  That's um....highly *not* recommended.  The
update manager has a bunch of hints to make it smarter than apt-get dist-
upgrade when it comes to dealing with funny situations; however, it only has
them for one-release-at-a-time.  It doesn't really know how to handle odd
things that happen when you skip releases (except LTS --> LTS, like for Dapper
-> Hardy).

> Does the List have any good suggestions?

Since you're going from KDE3 to KDE4 and skipping 8.10, the release that had
all the transition packages, you might be in trouble and better off with a
clean install.

> I could boot from a live
> DVD distro and mount the hard disk and tweak the X file from there.
> Which file should I be targeting for that approach?  Is it still in
> the X11R6 directory path?

Uh...that directory hasn't been in Ubuntu since um...well it wasn't there in
6.06, so at least that long.  /etc/X11/xorg.conf is where it lives.  And it
shouldn't even be necessary in current versions of X.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo