[Novalug] enterprise instant messaging client with centralized logging?

Richard Barnes richard.barnes@gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 16:09:03 EDT 2009

Matt: Seconded.  Openfire is a pretty standard solution for these
sorts of things.

Anthony: Just to clarify what Matt said: Openfire is a server for the
Jabber IM protocol.  The idea is that no matter what client a user
uses, all IMs pass through the server, which keeps centralized logs of
all chats.  In addition, if you want to allow users to chat with other
Jabber domains (e.g., Google Talk, jabber.org), that should work
pretty transparently, and should be logged as well.  Users can use a
variety of client software to connect to the server, including iChat,
Adium (Mac), Gaim/Pidgin, and Psi (Linux, Windows).

Some links:
Openfire: <http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/index.jsp>
Psi: <http://psi-im.org/>
Pidgin: <http://www.pidgin.im>