[Novalug] alsa help

Sean McGowan scepticanagramwonk@verizon.net
Fri Apr 17 19:21:33 EDT 2009

Good evening,

The other night my sound mysteriously stopped working.  Although it
never quite worked right in the first place.  I run ubuntu 8.10 amd64,
and ever since install I have not been able to get anything but a
relatively low volume from my speakers (they worked fine before I wiped
vista).

Today, I manually installed the latest stable release of alsa (1.0.19)
and added it to the kernel.  Hooray! I have sound back; however, I have
returned to the initial problem of relatively low volume.  First:

yes the volume is turned up on the speakers
yes alsa-mixer is turned up on all channels

I have a nvidia nforce 430.  According to the hp website the sound
chipset is ALC 888S

but
${sean@sean-hp1}/home/sean> aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Could this be the problem?  If so, how would I address it?  Any
suggestions would be great.