[Novalug] Virtualization setup

Subba Rao castellan2004-novalug@yahoo.com
Sun Apr 12 06:17:29 EDT 2009

Good morning everyone,

I am planning to upgrade my laptop in a few months.  On my current laptop I run Vista with VMware workstation for several of my Linux distros.  I want to switch to using bare metal hypervisor such as VMware's ESXi.  While researching I found there are several other free hypervisors such as kvm, xen etc.  For me, I don't really want to dabble with the hypervisor configuration and other learning curve issues.  My goal is to have couple of forensics related linux distros which have access to the hard disk and other hardware.  In my current setup, I have to deal with lot of permission issues for accessing the hardware.

Is anyone in this forum running a bare metal hypervisor on their laptop?  Any recommendation on how to plan this setup?

Thank you.

Subbarao