[Novalug] Linux on Tablet PC's

Pete Nuwayser nuwayser@gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 17:18:31 EDT 2009

FWIW:

"18.0 Using Tablet PCs

SUSE® Linux Enterprise Desktop comes with support for Tablet PCs. In
the following, learn how to install and configure your Tablet PC and
discover some useful Linux* applications which accept input from
digital pens.

The following Tablet PCs are supported:

Tablet PCs with serial Wacom devices, such as ACER TM C30x series,
Fujitsu Lifebook T series (T30xx/T40xx/T50xx), Gateway C-140X/E-295C,
HP Compaq TC1100/TC4200/TC4400, 2710p/2730p , IBM/Lenovo X41t/X61t, LG
LT20, Motion M1200/M1400, OQO 02, Panasonic Toughbook CF-18, Toshiba
Portege/Tecra M series, Satellite R15/R20.

Tablet PCs with Wacom USB devices, such as ASUS R1E/R1F, Gateway
C-120X/E-155C, HP Pavilion tx2000/tx2100/tx2500 series.

Tablet PCs with FinePoint devices, such as Gateway C210X/M280E/CX2724,
HP Compaq TC1000.

Tablet PCs with touch screen devices, such as Asus R2H, Clevo TN120R,
Fujitsu Siemens Computers P-Series, LG C1, Samsung Q1/Q1-Ultra.

After you have installed the Tablet PC packages and configured your
digitizer correctly, input with the pen (also called a stylus) can be
used for the following actions and applications:

Logging in to KDM or GDM

Unlocking your screen on the KDE and GNOME desktops

Actions that can also be triggered by other pointing devices (such as
mouse or touch pad), for example, moving the cursor on the screen,
starting applications, closing, resizing and moving windows, shifting
window focus and dragging and dropping objects

Using gesture recognition in applications of the X Window System

Drawing with The GIMP

Taking notes or sketching with applications like Jarnal or Xournal or
editing larger amounts of text with Dasher

NOTE: Keyboard or Mouse Needed for Installation
During installation of SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, the pen cannot
be used as an input device. If your Tablet PC does not feature a
built-in keyboard or touch pad, connect an external keyboard or mouse
to your Tablet PC for installation of your system."

http://www.novell.com/documentation/sled11/sled11_admin/index.html?page=/documentation/sled11/sled11_admin/data/cha_tablet.html

2009/4/1 Michael Hans <mhans@oqtol.com>:
> Thats what I'm noticing from the Ubuntu forums. Guess i'll it a go and
> Fedora and see who's less painful. Was really hoping to run across something
> like Ubuntu Remix but for Tablets.
>
> 2009/4/1 Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@gmail.com>
>>
>> On Wednesday 01 April 2009 10:27:57 am Michael Hans wrote:
>> > Can anyone recommend a good distribution to install on a Tablet PC? I
>> > know
>> > most distributions will work out of the box as most touch-screen
>> > interfaces
>> > so I've been told operate like a generic mouse, but if that distro was
>> > suited (had some extra integration/bells & whistles) for Tablets that
>> > would
>> > be great.
>>
>> I don't recommend Ubuntu for it.  *Maybe* it changed, but tablets weren't
>> working out of the box with 8.10.
>>
>> --
>> Mackenzie Morgan
>> http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com