[Novalug] Partitioning an External Hard Drive

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Mon Sep 29 16:52:24 EDT 2008

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 13:48 -0500, Beartooth wrote:
>>  	My guess is that I unmount all but one of these "media,"
>> i.e., partitions; drag and drop stuff onto it (or use cp
>> against it) -- which I suppose I'll have to do as root, no?
>
> If it displays on your desktop, your user has access to it just
> fine. I'd use rsync so that future backups are short n sweet.

 	Hmmm .... makes sense, I guess; is it true regardless
whether I can open them?

 	Fwiw, I just sorted through. Seven of the twelve opened
quickly and easily. All twelve say, under Properties >
Permissions, that the permissions could not be determined.

 	Trying again, one of those that didn't before did on a
new try. So I dragged into the "apparently OK" array.

 	Then I tried right-click followed by Open; no difference
(not that I expected any); but right-click followed by Browse
Folder opened them immediately.

 	I've been meaning for years to get around to starting to
learn rsync, and never done it. Is it going to obviate my moving
the USB cable from one machine to another, by pulling stuff
across the LAN? (I probably won't know what stuff I want till I
can see it in Nautilus.)

 	Also, will rsync facilitate giving names (preferably the
names of machines, especially if I ever succeed in getting my
machines to remember their names), instead of stuff like
"disk-6"? Or do I want to do that (somehow; maybe with mv?)
before I put stuff onto the partitions? When I right-click,
nautilus shows the Rename option grayed out. (I haven't closed
gparted yet.)

 	Oh -- and they're all ext2 but the first (which is ext3)
and the 3rd (which is extended; all but 1 & 2 are under it) -- no
swap. There's one not mounted, and gparted will let me reformat
that.

--
Beartooth of Bear's End, Squirreler, Historian of Tongues
What do they know of country, who only country know?