[Novalug] Do I have a memory leak??

Tux Subscriber Dave Aronson tux2dave@davearonson.com
Fri Sep 26 15:54:22 EDT 2008

Beartooth <beartooth@beartooth.info> wrote:

> Do I have a memory leak?

Insert your own joke here, folks!  ;-)

But spuriously....

>        I had more memory installed, doubling what it had before.
> Big improvement -- for a few days. Now it's as before.
>
>        How do I tell what the problem is and what to do about
> it?

Top or ps or any number of other "show me what's running" commands
should tell you what percent of your memory is being gobbled up by
each process.  I don't recall the exact magical incantation is for ps
(man is your best friend -- does that mean you're a dog?), but "top"
clearly labels one column "%MEM" or something like that.

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson: Have Pun, Will Babble | Work: davearonson.com | /\ ASCII