[Novalug] can you "get by" using an open sourced tool vs a licensed one in the near-term? (long)

Joseph Brinkley brinkley.joseph@gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 13:19:30 EDT 2008

simple answer is YES. you can to the main question.

Use things like spice works and nmap for most of what i do .  some people
use ZEN os  and a few other things but spice works is great .

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Maxwell Spangler <
maxpublic08@maxwellspangler.com> wrote:

> Whether Free/Open Source Software or proprietary software is the right
> choice for a project depends on the many factors involved:  The project
> requirements, the team developing the project, the people (like
> management) supporting the projects and the users who will ultimately
> use it.
>
> There used to be a phrase "Nobody got fired for buying IBM" in the 80s
> and 90s.  The idea behind this phrase was that if you bought IBM and
> there was a problem, it was just a problem with computers in general
> because you bought top quality stuff.  But if you bought the Korean
> clone computers and problems occurred, then maybe its your fault for
> buying faulty equipment.
>
> If you try to use MySQL in an organization surrounded by supporters of
> Oracle, it may cost you political points when limitations or problems
> arise.  But more and more smart businesses are seeing Free and Open
> Source software as a competitive advantage over developing from scratch
> or using proprietary software.  It takes the right combination of
> factors but many people are finding success with this approach.
>
> I can clearly imagine times when I would gladly accept proprietary
> software over Free Software, but more and more I'm seeing success with
> companies mixing Free Software and their own proprietary applications.
> My ARCHOS personal media player and my TomTom GPS unit are two examples
> of products that compete against multi-million dollar companies yet they
> use Linux at the core of their products and its helping them.  They've
> clearly got the technical know how to do this and the support of
> management so they are pushing ahead and its paying off for them.  This
> kind of integration of Free Software won't work for everybody or every
> project, but they sure make great examples of how far Free Software has
> come and what you can do with it.
>
> --
> Maxwell Spangler
> Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
> http://www.last.fm/user/maxwax99/

-Joseph Brinkley

Christopher Marlowe  - "Money can't buy love, but it improves your
bargaining position."