[Novalug] VA anti-SPAM law struck down

Maxwell Spangler maxpublic08@maxwellspangler.com
Thu Sep 18 02:14:54 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 05:36 +0000, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:

> Ah, but that's opt-in then, isn't it?  You've chosen to subscribe to
> those newsletters.  Then it's not spam.  The issue is with unsolicited
> messages.  If a politician calls you during dinner to ask you to support
> their campaign, don't you find it annoying?  I've heard people respond
> to such calls with "call again and I'll make sure to vote against your
> candidate."

Only if its the candidate I don't like. :-)

You can't provide freedoms only to people you like, you have to provide
them equally.  If you restrict <them> now, <they> may restrict you
later.  And that doesn't work.

Just to make sure people get my original message's point: A business is
essentially a greedy, selfish organization.  So I'm OK with restricting
them.  But people in the form of individuals, political or religious
groups.. Well I am personally willing to put up with some of them saying
things I don't like so that I have the freedom to say things they don't
like if I care to do so.

I've also said privately that I've had my door knocked on early on
Saturday mornings from people I have no desire to talk to, so I
appreciate the frustration you all have.

--
Maxwell Spangler
Research Triangle Park, NC, USA