[Novalug] VA anti-SPAM law struck down

Scott Musman musman@aug-sys.com
Wed Sep 17 19:15:27 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 12:23 -0400, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
> That's a shame. I think I have the perfect way to stop SPAM.
>
> Use the Do-Not-Call model and create a Do-Not-Spam Registry. Any mass
> mailing would be required to check the list before sending UCE without a
> "prior relationship". Once again, there would be exceptions for the
> usual Charitable and Religious groups, etc, etc.

Unfortunately the do not call model will not work with spam because it's
unenforcable. It's too easy to originate, or route spam through a
foreign country, avoid US jurisdiction, avoid US laws and avoid US
prosecution. Also, many spam sources come from hijacked machines anyway,
so often clamping down on a specific source does nothing to address the
root source. It's a tough problem, tougher than most people think it
is :(