[Novalug] can you "get by" using an open sourced tool vs a licensed one in the near-term? (long)

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Tue Sep 16 20:05:10 EDT 2008

Another thing to keep in mind with a proprietary program is this. If it is
really essential to your project and something happens to the author or
company so it ceases to be maintained then you may find you have a dead
end situation and no where to go.

I had this happen with a DOS/Windows program that maintained pedigrees.
The author died in 2000. The program required a dongle of its original
floppy disk which had a special format and after a while Winoze upgrades
started not recognizing the floppy. (plus the floppy was in danger of
aging and going bad).

Linux did come to the rescue with dd and freedos in 2007 but that was only
after several years elapsed when I could not run the program.

                       Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd PO Box 60, Hydes,MD,USA 21082-0060|EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net

freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
Editor Net.Pet Online Animal Magazine  - http://www.netpetmagazine.com
HOME http://www.qis.net/~borzoi/          BUSINESS http://www.batw.com