[Novalug] Dial-up wireless broadband for laptop?

John B. Holmblad jholmblad@aol.com
Sun Sep 14 08:58:34 EDT 2008

Makenzie,

technically you are correct in the sense that the EVDO radio/modem
component of the handset dials a special number that informs the Radio
base station that an EVDO conneciton is being attempted to the Radio
Base Station and not an end to end call to another telephone somewhere
else in the world. In this respect it is analogous to a wireline PSTN
connection to an ISP's dial in connection.

However, once "dialed in", the bandwidth provided (up to ~1 mbps under
best conditions)  is much larger than that associated with a voice call
(~6-8 kbps).

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International

GSEC Gold,   GCWN Gold,   GAWN,  GGSC-0100,   NSA-IAM,  NSA-IEM

Information security, telecommunications, and information technology
consulting

(M) 703 407 2278

(F)  703 620 5388

primary email address:  jholmblad@aol.com