[Novalug] Dial-up wireless broadband for laptop?

Roger W. Broseus rogerb@bronord.com
Sat Sep 13 16:55:44 EDT 2008

I'm not sure what you mean by "dial-up broadband." "Pure" dial-up with a
modem can't touch broadband. However, DSL comes pretty close. I used
Comcast for a few year but got p_ssed because of rate creep - nickel and
dime additions of fees - and slow response of dns servers. This problem
was recognized by their field reps but went unresolved.

So, I switched to cheaper Verizon DSL and can not tell any difference in
up/down speeds. If anything, it's faster. It does a fine job of
supporting a home network with to desk tops and a laptop for routine
email and web browsing. As with cable modem service, downloading a whole
distro, like a Ubuntu install CD, took awhile - I can't remember, maybe
an hour? But, I just set it on autopilot and go to dinner or let it work
in the background. Of course, if you are not near a "central office" (a
few thousand feet), DSL doesn't work very well. (I live in Bethesda,
about 1/2 mi from the switching center.)

Oh: Verizon gave me a $60 incentive to dump cable service! I'm paying
about $13 less per month for mid-level service about comparable in speed
to cable. Tech support, outsourced to the Philippines, is good and they
walked me through setup when a problem arose.

Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
    Email: RogerB@bronord.com
    Web Site: www.bronord.com