[Novalug] Switched.com list of top 25 PC apps

Megan Larko larkoc@iges.org
Wed Sep 3 13:39:21 EDT 2008

Hello List,

I know many of you are asked for suggestions by people in the Windows OS
world as well as Mac and Linux.    I saw today via AOL
www.switched.com's list of top 25 PC apps.   All 25 have versions for
Windows XP/Vista.   About 1/2 have Mac and linux versions as well (the
linux tie-in Jay!).

They run the gamut of things we know about such as firefox and
thunderbird and (hopefully) AdAware, to new cool tools such as Google's
new browser chrome (good reviews on geek lists so far) and free media
players (vlc) and zip/unzip and rar formats tools such as 7 zip and a
cool-looking free CD/DVD burning app named Totally Free burner
(http://www.switched.com/2008/09/03/ultimate-downloads-for-your-computer-17/)
on page 17 of the 25 list.  Note that many Window boxes do not come with
DVD-burning software.

There is also CCleaner to keep your Win box relatively clutter free and
zippier.

I thought it was a good list and worth checking out.

megan