[Novalug] [Ma-linux] OT: Need help repairing W2K box

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Thu Oct 30 09:42:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 08:09:21AM -0400, Jay Hart wrote:
> I'll try that.  My biggest problem right now is expanding the svchost.exe from
> the Windows Install CD and getting it copied over to the machine. Since I only
> have 1 Windows box (and its infected) and its now seems that my wifes very old
> (PII 233) laptop won't boot anymore (HDD issue), I'm having to get a little
> help from the ole' work PC.
>
> Jay

Do you have another windows box available and are the install files
of the *.cab type?  I ask as I came across two possibilities:

1) there may be an extract.exe on the install cd as well.  I saw some
online notes saying this utility can be used to get individual files
from the .cab's

2) the winzip utility can open M$'s .cab's as well as .zip's.  If you
don't already have it, it is an easy download.

jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jon@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing