[Novalug] Adobe Flash Ubuntu question

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Wed Oct 29 17:15:37 EDT 2008

Oy! May We Live in Interesting Times.

After putting a 64 bit CentOS on my amd64 at home, I discovered that
several browser plugins only worked on 32 bit systems. So I nuked my 64
bit version of Firefox and installed the 32 bit version instead.

I have since decided not to mess with 64 bit distros at home unless I am
trying to mirror something at work.

Even at work I have run 32 bit versions on 64 bit hardware. Of course,
you need the PAE version if you want to use more than 3G of memory.

No, you can't mix the 32 and 64 bit libraries.

At some point, 64 bit computing will take over and the 32 bit code will
be prefixed with "compat-", but until then we are stuck with the duality
of twice as many libraries.

Actually, I may go back to 64 bits at work. We had a couple of files
bigger than 2G and we needed to #define FILEOFFSET64BITS or some similar
name.

Oy!

JIM