[Novalug] Wireless Security

Dan Arico dan_arico@aricosystems.com
Sat Oct 25 12:04:33 EDT 2008

I've been struggling with a wireless problem for a while. I have two laptops
running Ubuntu 8.04. Wireless works as far as getting out to the internet
through my router, but I can't access my local network.

If I plug in a network cable, I can find everything on the network - NFS,
printers and Samba shares. Wireless, I can't see any of that. I can't even
ping the router I'm going through for the internet. (Which makes no sense to
me.)

I have been told that the problem is with WPA. There are people who have also
run into this problem, but do not have the problem with WEP. After many days
spent researching Ubuntu forums, I have not come across any solution.

I am physically somewhat isolated here. I've checked and I can't detect any
other wireless networks within range. If I switch to to the lower security of
WEP, am I really running very much of a risk?

Dan Arico

One OS to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them,
In the land of Redmond, where the Sales Reps lie.