[Novalug] MORE on full root partition problem

Roger W. Broseus RogerB@bronord.com
Thu Oct 16 23:37:11 EDT 2008

Tom: Thanks for thinking on this. The problem is not in /var or /mail files.

It's in    /proc!

/proc has a hugh number of folders named sequentially 1 thru 7, 16, 27,
28,5 in the 100s, 8 in the 1900s, . . . 94 folders with similar sequeces,
ending with 10 in the 8037 to 8564 range. Some, but not all of these have
replications of my /home and other folders - in a folder named "root!"
Also in /proc are
  /acpi, /asound, . . . /syvipc, /tty and a few odd files. I assume these
are "normal."

A common trait of all of these folders is that they contain folders named
attr, cwd, fd, fdinfo, task and include files with names like auxv,
clear_refs, cmdline, . . . stat, statm, status, wchan.

All of the sequentially numbered folders were created today - some during
the time of backup in very rapid succession: 94 of them in a time span of
only 2 minutes at the time the Simple Backup was being attempted.

I'm about to delete them all - at least the numbered folders. (Well, in
the morning: it's past bed time.)

Thanks for any help out there.
--
Roger Broseus