[Novalug] Perl CPAN question

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sun Oct 12 10:56:43 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 10:36:19AM -0400, James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
> BTW, I agree pretty much with American Dave, but his code wouldn't wrap
> well, so I didn't bother to quote and respond to it. Suffice it to say
> that as a man cannot serve two masters, a set of files cannot be managed
>   by two package managers.
>
> Well, they can, but you have to pick which one is the master (CPAN), and
> do a CPAN update after a yum update. And you need to have a bit of luck,
> and occasionally resort to installing Perl modules by hand.
>
> Megan Larko wrote:
> > Robert Kuropkat wrote:
> >
> >> Your options are thus:
> >>
> >> 1.  Fix the broken up remnants of what your distro did with Perl.  This
> >> is **probably** mostly a matter of fixing various paths in environmental
> >> variables (maybe) and probably editing CPAN.pm to tell it where all your
> >> Perl libraries really ended up.
> >
> > I tried hand-editing the MyConfig.pm but for each and every incantation
> > of "cpan" I had an error saying it had to rebuild it anew.
>
> Ick. Complexity. Dueling Package managers. The developers obviously
> didn't walk the same roads you are traveling.

I remember having this problem with Solaris 9.  Sun was stuck on
perl 5.6 and stored it in /usr/perl5, with a link from /usr/bin/perl
to /usr/perl5/bin/perl.

My solution was to leave Sun's stuff to Sun and install a completely
separate perl 5.8 tree in /usr/local/... and maintaining it with CPAN.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  jon@jgcomp.com
 JG Computing