[Novalug] FOSE - thoughts continued

Paul W. Frields stickster@gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 19:33:58 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 16:04 -0400, Nick Danger wrote:
> Sarah Elkins wrote:
> > I could probably work up a presentation about the open source software
> > packages we're using for web applications/hosting and development
> > support (for a partial list, see "Technologies" under my current job
> >

> I dont know if you'd have time to give any kind of presentation. And our
> booth never lent itself well to having people wait around for something
> to start. But I like the idea. I think one of the better ideas we had
> was the list of agencies using Linux, with examples. Then people would
> walk over and say things like "XXYZ uses it? Didn't know that." And it
> was a good topic starter. Maybe if we had a few smaller posters of
> different uses/agencies using it? People might stop and read and start a
> conversation or maybe just walk by but I think we'd catch a few
> wandering eyes to see what the display says.

Did anyone on this list attend the Red Hat Government Users and
Developers Conference today?  If so, you probably saw long-time FOSS
luminary Michael Tiemann speak about why open source in government is a
natural fit, and folks from DoD and the Open Source Software Institute
talking about how the government can not only use, but promote open
source.  If you missed it today, make sure you keep your eyes open next
fall -- it's an annual event.  This one was much bigger than last year,
which in itself is a fairly telling sign.

--
Paul W. Frields