[Novalug] [Dclug] [Ma-linux] [FOSE] Starting the discussion

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Sun Oct 5 12:04:18 EDT 2008

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008, Kevin Cole wrote:

> [Leaping into the flames, with "youthful indiscretion"...]

 	Well, I can't remember a time when I could claim
"youthful" anything; but here's a question I haven't yet seen
others answering.

 	[...]
> What about a "Why we volunteer" message?  How many groups are
> there who are non-profit, not selling anything?  There's Web
> Women always close at hand, but who else besides them and us?
> Any idea?  The volunteer aspect may be the way to encourage
> people to think about why we're handing out things gratis
 	[...]
 	First off, I *like* that idea.

 	Second, what do you mean by "groups"? Is a mailing list
or a web forum a group? How about a cooperating set of
developers? Or a LUG?

 	If I tell my newsreader (Pan) to find group names
containing "linux" it gets over 1100 of them; Google Groups lists
over 5500; and so on, and so on.

 	Point is, any way you slice it, there are more than you
can shake a stick at. And that's just with the character string
"linux", not even looking for Gnu, BSD, etc.

 	So forget how many, except perhaps in a *short*
parenthesis, and stick to your main idea : *why* do people
volunteer?

 	FLOSS is a global phenomenon, after all -- one that's in
its Elizabethan Age, and numbers are the least of it. Bring
*that* home to them, and let their herd instinct take it from
there.

--
Beartooth of Bear's End, Squirreler, Historian of Tongues
What do they know of country, who only country know?