[Novalug] Linux For Beginners

Brandon Saxe brandon20va@yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 19:51:15 EST 2008

My question to you (the original poster), is what do you want to *do* with Linux? Or should I state "GNU/Linux" as Linux by itself is just a kernel.

What do you want to do with it? To me, Linux is a tool, just like any other OS (though Linux is my *favorite* computing tool). Linux by itself is the tool that serves as the kernel for GNU/Linux distros. These distros, too, are just more tools that we have at our disposal. Each distro has its strengths and weaknesses and all have their appropriate uses.

The term "noob to Linux" is less and less meaningful these days as there are so many different distros. Each distro is designed to work in its own way. So, if I go to a different distro than what I know (debians these days), then I'd be a "noob to slackware" or "noob to gentoo" for example. Of course, there are basic skills one can take to each distro, but one can't say they know "Red Hat" and say they know "Linux" as well because there all sorts of GNU/Linux systems out there. (I'm speaking loosely here but I hope it makes sense).

So what are you looking to get out of Linux that may serve you? It will be helpful to know what you want to do with Linux or how it may be helpful to you. Once that is clarified, then someone may be able to make a better recommendation.

Thanks,
  Brandon