[Novalug] kde 4.1

Dan Arico dan_arico@aricosystems.com
Sat Nov 29 12:49:36 EST 2008

On Saturday 29 November 2008 12:33:11 pm Richard Ertel wrote:
> I didn't know that Fedora used a hybrid of Gnome and KDE, unless you mean
> using the Gnome interface and also including KDE libraries to run KDE apps,
> or vice versa?
>
> To the best of my knowledge (having done it a few years ago), installing
> KDE on an Ubuntu system (default Gnome) is just a matter of installing the
> "kubuntu-desktop" package, and maybe configuring your GDM or KDM to run the
> new environment. When you log in, you can choose one or the other (or any
> additional you install, XFCE, Enlightenment, etc.)
>
> Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> -Richard

That's what I did with my Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop. The one thing I ran into
that you have to be careful with is wireless. Keep the Gnome wireless
software and don't install any of the KDE wireless stuff. They will step on
each other and crate a configuration nightmare. Otherwise, there's no
problem.

Dan Arico

One OS to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them,
In the land of Redmond, where the Sales Reps lie.