[Novalug] MyLinks.pl A CLI Perl program to make a web page with links to sites - Beta testers wanted

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Sun Nov 16 00:33:05 EST 2008

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, Jay Hart wrote:

I have placed informsyion at:

http://www.batw.net/MyLinksHomePage.html

>From that page there is a link to a sample MyLinks.html page, a link to
its source text data file and a link to the Perl code.

JH >Can you provide a link to the generated html page thsi creates so we could
JH >check out your work, it sounds interesting.
JH >
JH >Jay
JH >
JH >> I have put together a PERL program called MyLinks that runs from the command
JH >> line (at this time) and allows you to paste in a URI, then the site name and
JH >> then a "topic" entry which can have a number of key words in it.
JH >>
JH >> It generates a "|" separated data file of these things and also a html page
JH >> that you can open in your browser. On the html page the links are live and
JH >> open
JH >> the sites in a new window or tab (depending on how you have the browser set).
JH >>
JH >> Each time it is run it adds your new sites to the datafile and regenerates the
JH >> html page.
JH >>
JH >> The datafile is easily editable in a text editor.
JH >>
JH >> Why bother with this when the browser has book marks?
JH >>
JH >> (1) I have found that when you get enough things in the bookmarks it becomes
JH >> hard to both find sites and also to save things to appropriate folders.
JH >>
JH >> With MyLinks.html you just do a search on your topic key words or on the words
JH >> in the site name.
JH >>
JH >> (2) if you want to make a links page for your site then you can quickly
JH >> assemble a basic set of links with description.
JH >>
JH >> You need PERL installed on your system to use MyLinks.pl but it should
JH >> otherwise be crossplatform. (Linux, Amiga,Mac OSX, DOS, Windoze)
JH >>
JH >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JH >>                         Bonnie Dalzell, MA
JH >> mail:5100 Hydes Rd PO Box 60, Hydes,MD,USA 21082-0060|EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
JH >>
JH >> freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
JH >> breeder, computer nerd & iconoclast... Borzoi info at www.borzois.com.
JH >> Editor Net.Pet Online Animal Magazine  - http://www.netpetmagazine.com
JH >> HOME http://www.qis.net/~borzoi/          BUSINESS http://www.batw.com
JH >> Novalug mailing list