[Novalug] OT: Wireless Bridge vs Poerline ethernet

Igor Birman igor_birman@yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 08:45:02 EST 2008

You can make your own wireless bridge if you have an old linksys router or any other router that will support dd-wrt or openwrt sitting around.

Here is a dd-wrt tutorial: http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3639271

I have used this successfully in the past..

Igor

________________________________
From: Varol Okan <varokan@movingsatellites.com>
To: Novalug <novalug@calypso.tux.org>
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 7:38:23 AM
Subject: [Novalug] OT: Wireless Bridge vs Poerline ethernet

Okay, I broke down and bought some M$ hardware.

Now I have a XBox 360 in my living room and want to hook it up to the
network.

The Wifi card from M$ costs between 80,- and 100,- which is quite steep
IMHO.

So the alternative would be a wireless bridge. Unfortunately these
devices also run around 100,-.

PowerLine Ethernet devices are a bit cheaper and some are faster but I
don't know if my router sits on the same circuit as the XBox.

So what to do ? Anyone has any (cheap) suggestions ?

Varol