[Novalug] OT: Re: Remember to vote!

Pete Nuwayser nuwayser@gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 11:48:18 EST 2008

http://npr.org/votereport

If you have a twitter account, you can tell NPR about any voting
problems (or lack thereof).  Tags include #votereport (required for
them to see it), plus other optional tags like your zipcode (e.g..
#22312), #good, #bad, etc.  You can also see the live feed here:
http://election.twitter.com/topic?t=%23votereport

Pete

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Stephan Greene <ks1g04@gmail.com> wrote:
> At my precinct, it was about 20 min to get into the school (on line just
> before 6AM) and another 40 min to get thru the check in and under 5 to vote
> (optical scan paper ballot, there was a line for the electronic machines),
> get sticker, and leave.  All the E-K showed up, your experience explains why
> the S-Z was no waiting (they were all at your location) and the poll
> official kept going outside to invite the end of the alphabet to come right
> in.  The outside line was at about 50% (10-15 min) when I left at 7AM.  I'll
> be able to eyeball it's length on the way home.
>
> Ob linux content - with the electronic machines on their way out, I wonder
> what software is used in the optical scan systems? Could be Linux.  But will
> it be open source and auditable?  Or still proprietary and "trust us"?
> (That's a more important question than the underlying OS).
>
> And the software question ignores the larger ones of potential in the system
> for accidental (poll worker almost checked off the wrong Steve this morning)
> and deliberate voter and voting fraud and ways (technical and process) to
> detect and minimize it.  That said, our imperfect system is way better than
> a lot of the alternatives!
>
> Any rumors on freebies with your "I voted" sticker?  I've heard Dunkin
> Donuts, Krispy Creame, Starbuks, California Tortillia, Ben & Jerries, and
> Cafe Sano (Reston, South Lakes shopping center).
>

> Steve
>
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Kevin Chin <kevinchin5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Umm... Go vote. If you don't like either, you can always write in.  If you
>> don't vote, don't complain.
>>
>> FWIW, I voted this morning and there was NO line... if your last name
>> begins with A-C... I voted and was out in 5 minutes. You may not need to
>> wait in a huge line if your polling place divides the crowd up by last
>> name.  At mine, everyone was standing in the S-Z line, and it was huge!
>> "John Smith" was apparently out in force!
>>
>> (sorry for the non Linux tangent)
>>

> --

/pete nuwayser/
$LASTNAME gmail com