[Novalug] Portable Media Player

Adam Portier ajportier@gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 10:01:44 EST 2008

Hey, I have been going to these meetings for a while and finally I have a
question worthy of the mailing list. I need to replace my portable media
player, an I am finding it hard to locate one with the features I need. I
had been using (up until I lost it) a gen 2 iPod running Rockbox. I do most
of my non-gaming related computing in Linux, so most of my files are there
and I have several albums ripped to OGG. What I am looking for is a portable
media player that can play both MP3 and OGG files, lets me administer the
file system without the need of some proprietary software like iTunes, and I
can patch the firmware without having to drop into Windows. A tall order, I
know, but I am sure it has to exist. I could just order another used iPod
and hack its firmware, but I would like to see if there is something out
there that does this out of the box. Thanks in advance.

Adam