[Novalug] drivers and linux distributions

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi@gmail.com
Sat May 24 12:09:03 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 11:38 -0400, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
> I am still working on the problem of:
>
> Ubuntu Harty Heron only displays at 800 x 600 on my cheap Compaqu Presario
> 1800 T but Puppy Linux displays at 1025 x 768
>

> However Ubuntu goes online and Puppy cannot find my network
>
> OK
>
> I installed Puppy in its own partition
>
> I have examined its xorg.conf file and it is specific in naming the ATI
> video card that is in the laptop. That is Puppy is smart enough in its
> install to find out about this machine's video card where Ubuntu install
> is not.

I just want to point out that Hardy uses Xorg 7.3, which has moved
toward hotpluggability, meaning it leaves the xorg.conf exceedingly
vague on purpose so that tools like xrandr can make changes on the fly
without restarting X, so it's probably not exactly that Ubuntu was too
stupid to fill in the xorg.conf...it was instructed not to.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo