[Novalug] laptop screen resolution.

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Wed May 21 10:16:53 EDT 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Matt Bidwell wrote:

MB >Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
MB >>
MB >> Saturday I acquired the inexpensive laptop I was looking for to put linux
MB >> on. I have Xubuntu installed. Originally - during the installation - the
MB >> screen showed a software created defect where the right edge displayed as
MB >> a 5 pixel or so wide band around 30% of the way into the image on the
MB >> right.
MB >>
MB >> After doing a lot of reading in Ubuntu xorg.conf HOWTO's I managed to get
MB >> rid of the artifact. I am actually not sure how, however.
MB >>
MB >> When I tired the laptop with a copy of the current Puppy Linux live CD I
MB >> was able to get a display of 1024 x 768. However the best I can get with
MB >> Ubuntu is 640 x 480. I have tried editing xorg.conf and adding additional
MB >> screen resolutions but I still get a message
MB >> "Ubuntu is defaulting to low resolution mode" on log in and when I try and
MB >> use the congfigure utility that appears at that time - I have no success
MB >> at getting a better screen resolution.
MB >>
MB >>
MB >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MB >>                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
MB >>
MB >Bonnie,
MB >What video card does this laptop have?

It has an ATI Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x

when I try the application that comes up with the initial warning "Ubuntu
is running in Low Resolution Mode" all the likely choices fail.

I thought of putting Puppy on the machine but I am unable to get Puppy
to go on line - either through a direct plug in with the ethernet
cable or with a wireless card. Ubuntu goes on line with no problem.

MB >Have you looked to see if there is a vendor supplied driver?

I just started investigating that.

MB >I know both ATI and NVidia have drivers that work a lot better
MB >then the X drivers.

I do have the xserver-xorg-video-ati driver on the system.

Not quite sure if it is automatically tried by the system.

MB >
MB >Matt
MB >

                       Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd PO Box 60, Hydes,MD,USA 21082-0060|EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net

freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
Editor Net.Pet Online Animal Magazine  - http://www.netpetmagazine.com
HOME http://www.qis.net/~borzoi/          BUSINESS http://www.batw.com