[Novalug] OT: Speaker systems for home theater systems

ethan@757.org ethan@757.org
Fri May 16 23:27:11 EDT 2008

> bookshelf speakers attached to our stereo. I began to wonder: are
> speaker systems designed for home theaters a solid substitute for
> speakers designed specifically for playing music? Any thoughts you
> would care to share would be appreciated.

I've never bought into a difference. I use a pair of JBL bookshelf
speakers that I bought a long time ago. I took a stack of CD's to Circuit
City (Our Best Buy doesn't have listening rooms! But Circuit City does, go
figure). I took a mixture, classical, rock, metal, jazz. And switched
between a bunch. At the time the Infinitys sounded better on classical,
but I didn't like them on the other genres.

Finally, I settled on the JBLs. To me, they were the best all around
performer. They weren't the most expensive, either.

These days I think there might be better alternatives for my room, but I
dunno. I don't have the rear speakers hooked up.

I'm odd, I use QSC amplifiers... They are made for real movie theaters.
And processors made by a company that is considered low end, Behringer.
They actually can do real time alignment using a calibration mic (I think
I got them for $130 each?). Then a AC3 decider which is tied to my Mac
Mini that I use for home theater stuff.

On my desktop I use infinity bookshelf speakers that I bought from a
friend, along with an Alesis amplifier and a Sony mixer.

(Don't get me wrong, I buy most of my stuff from eBay so I've gotten
fairly good deals on it).

I don't think the infinity bookshelf speakers sound super, not as good as
I remember them.

I'm in an apartment so I can't do a real good permanant install... But the
good news is the ceilings are 9' high, so it accomodates the 10' screen
well, and noise isolation is subpurb as the building is old as hell and is
solid concrete.

But to each their own! Take a stack of CDs and audition the speakers! If
you go to a big box store, it's easier to not feel bad about ordering
online if you decide to go that route.