[Novalug] OT: Home racks, was: looking for tour of computer room / server farm for boy scout merit badge

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Thu May 15 11:10:42 EDT 2008

Ed T. Toton III wrote:
> Thus spake ethan@757.org:
>
>> Nice! I recognize the VaLinux 2u box! That is missing in picture #2.
>
> Hah, yeah I yanked that one out of there when the disks failed, since
> it was only acting as an SSH gateway by then. It was a rescue from
> work anyway... saved it from ending up in the dumpster.

I have a bunch of 2230's still in production. VA made some nice
hardware, other then the weirdo MB choice. This is going on what, 8
years now? I never liked the 1000s but the 2000 series were excellent.

>> Speaking of which, I still have a large quanity of relay racks,
>> overhead raceway, splice kits, vertical cable management stuff... if
>> anyone knows anyone that would be interested in buying as a lot...
>> I've got a lot sitting in storage!
>
> I'm trying to get rid of some as well, specifically I have a 42U
> Compaq rack cabinet that I'd like to sell, if anyone is interested. It
> has both side panels, plexiglass front door, mesh back door, wheel
> casters, and is beige, uses square holes (like most compaq racks),
> excellent condition.

I had trouble giving away spare racks/equipment I had at one point. They
are one of those things that you hang onto for a long time until you
find someone that needs it. At this point, might be profitable to sell
for the scrap. I hear there is quite a boom in the scrap metal market.

I could use a few vertical and horizontal cable management bits if you
want to let me know what you have. Im doing some rewiring in a room here
and noticed I just dont have enough to put between every switch for nice
clean cable runs. Im just way to cheap to pay the outrageous prices for
new from Graybar or something.

Nick